Lusciously fudgy brownies frosted with a refreshingly sweet mint buttercream, followed by a smooth, silky layer of chocolate ganache, and a finale of Dark Chocolate Mint M&Ms! And it’s all gluten-free!
Unless if you’re some kind of hermit, chances are you know someone who’s either gluten-intolerant or on a gluten-free diet (who would actually CHOOSE to not eat wonderful delicacies like Dunkin’ Donuts or Circus Animal cookies??). Normally, this isn’t an issue until you’re expected to plan a party or gathering and have to make sure that you have enough gluten-free options to those “less fortunate”. Thankfully, I’m here to save the day with these unbelievably gluten-free triple layer mint brownies!
Unlike most gluten-free dessert recipes, this one does not require any confusing ingredients or weird flours. Because Lord knows I wasn’t about to buy an entire bag of flour that I never use just for one recipe, am I right?
You’d be surprised to find that this flourless brownie has many of the same ingredients as any other brownie recipe. The key ingredient difference was actually cornstarch. Go figure. These brownies baked up with that perfectly thin delicate crust on top with a decadently rich and fudgy texture–so GOOD!
Although these brownies would’ve been good enough on their own, I knew they were destined for more greatness…enter, light and fluffy mint buttercream.
Not only are chocolate and mint one of the best combos ever (ahem, Andes mints!), but you can feel confident in knowing that your breath will smell minty fresh after eating one of these. You’re welcome.
And since only the best things come in 3’s (not sure why this is a rule), I added a third layer of smooth, velvety chocolate ganache. So rich, so divine, and soooooo necessary.
Then I chopped up some of these tasty, yet illegally addictive, Dark Chocolate Mint M&Ms and sprinkled them on top. I should also mention that I baked some into the brownies as well. Best decision ever!
Tip: DO chop up the M&Ms before throwing them into the brownie batter. Doing so will prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the brownies as they bake in the oven.
So there you have it! Just pop one of these gems of mint royalty into your mouth, and you have yourself the perfect breath mint!
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Dark Chocolate Mint M&Ms, chopped*
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- 1-2 drops green food coloring
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Dark Chocolate Mint M&Ms, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees and spray an 8x8 inch glass dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over a double-boiler on medium heat, stir the chocolate and butter together with a wooden spoon until melted. Add the sugar and espresso powder and continue to stir until combined. Remove from the heat and add the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract.
- Sift the cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt into the batter. Stir until the batter is smooth and glossy.
- Fold in the 1/2 cup of M&Ms. Pour batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 23-25 minutes or until the top and edges are set and the center isn't jiggly. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Once brownies have cooled, prepare the chocolate ganache. In a small microwave-safe bowl combine the chocolate and heavy cream. Microwave for 1 minute, remove, and cover with plastic wrap. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Remove plastic wrap and stir until smooth and glossy. Set ganache aside to allow it to cool and thicken.
- Make the buttercream. Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, whip the butter until smooth and creamy. Add the powdered sugar and continue whipping, stopping and scraping down sides of bowl to allow everything to blend more evenly. Mixture will appear a little dry.
- Add the vanilla, mint extract, food coloring, and heavy cream (or milk), and continue whipping the buttercream until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Spread evenly onto the cooled brownies.
- Pour the ganache over the buttercream, tilting the dish slightly to evenly distribute the ganache. Sprinkle with the chopped 1/2 cup of M&Ms. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until ganache has set. Cut into squares and serve.
- *DO chop up the M&Ms before throwing them into the brownie batter. Doing so will prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the brownies as they bake in the oven.
Try out these other MINTY recipes!